Friday, October 5, 2012

What Autumn is to Me

Today's Samhain's Sirens post features a blog by I'm Not Hannah, and I ask that all of you go over there and read it! It's so beautifully written, a true analogy of fall!

I'm inspired to make a little list of things I love about autumn, and what this season means to me.

-Everything is bursting with colour, scent, cosiness, and a general sense of impending-holiday-business. Everything feels so festive and glorious. In her last wakeful days, Nature adorns herself in riches, from amethyst and garnet jewel-like berries, to gold and crimson and copper headdresses and robes, to ripe and delicious vegetables and grains. As Nature dies into another dark, cold, barren and white winter, she puts on a grand show for everyone to enjoy and love before her passing.

-The beauty and bounty that we are presented with this season gives me an endless supply of creative energy that is poured into drawing, writing, digital scrapbooking, jewellery-making, and my own personal style. I think it's safe to say that I feel happiest at this time of year, which reflects onto every aspect of my life. My depression lifts; a black iron veil that lets me see into lovely everyday happiness.

-The days are much cooler and lack the oppressive humidity that late spring and summer are notorious for. I can take long walks without piling on excess amounts of sunscreen or suffering mild heat exhaustion. I don't sweat myself to death, unless I'm walking for cardio, and then I welcome the sweat! I can wear layers, jewel colours, and let my inner vibrancy bloom. I love these temperate days, especially for going to see the pretty foliage! And I don't know about you, but I love being able to go out without a smog advisory being in place!

-Because the nights are colder, the blankets are thicker, the pyjama pants and socks warmer, and the tea and lattes hotter. Cosiness increases, and snuggling in bed or on the couch is an even more wonderful thing than usual, especially under soft fleece blankets!

-The veil between the worlds is quickly thinning this month. I find myself thinking about my Dad more, and quietly talking to him out loud when I'm home alone or on a solitary nature walk. I tell him all the things I wished I had told him when he was still alive. I can only hope that his soul hears and sees me somehow, and it seems I can feel his warmth on the blowing breezes that carry twirling golden leaves that stick in my hair and fall at my feet. I always think back to the evening walks he and I would take in the spring and summer, in those precious years before his massive stroke. It is as though I can feel him walking beside me again.

-This is the season where many of us sit down with friends and family and give thanks for everything that we have. I believe that we should be doing this every day, not just one out of three-hundred-and-sixty-five. I do my best to find five things to be thankful for every day, even putting a positive spin on otherwise unpleasant days (I'm down with a cold? I am thankful that I am otherwise healthy enough to only experience mild colds once or twice a year). But for me, Thanksgiving is a yearly ritual of culminating the entire years's gratitudes and simple joys, and preparing for a whole new year of gratefulness. It's a feast ritual, a prayer ritual, a nature ritual. I place my bare hands on the still-warm earth and give thanks for having this awareness, this utter joy at being alive despite severe mental health issues.

-Pumpkin spice lattes, whether from Starbucks or from this recipe that I tried tonight. That is all.

-Being able to get fresh air into the house while pumpkin bread is baking? Yeah, that's the good stuff.

- - -

To close this entry: if you're a witchy gal or have a special witch in your life, don't forget to check out today's Samhain's Sirens giveaway, too! We have a festive besom/broom for your altar by Elegantly Enchanting.

Cute, huh?? Get your entries in, folks! This would make a great gift :)

Have a wonderful weekend, my friends! If you're in Canada, happy Thanksgiving weekend!! May your bellies and your hearts be full and your life full of gladness.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Beautiful words Mary. I, too love fall and you brought it's beauty to life with your words <3