Sunday, July 14, 2013

Handfasting, Canada Day, and my time at the cottage

Hello friends!

Our handfasting was a beautiful, light-hearted event where our dear friends Liat and Alora performed our handfasting just perfectly. The ceremony included an elemental blessing and was followed by a great potluck barbecue. Trev and I were so glad to have friends there who were unable to come to our actual wedding 4 1/2 years ago.

On Canada Day, we went down to Glen Mills/Georgetown for the parade and then to Mississauga for Toronto Ribfest. That night, Trev and I went with friends to a big fireworks display at Mel Lastman Square.

A few days later was our six-day trip to our friend's family cottage up in Haliburton! Let me just say it was absolutely wonderful. It's quite something to be disconnected when I'm connected to my computer every single day; it's refreshing, healing, and sorts out my mind's priorities. Being with your close friends every day, relaxing by the lake, playing board games and listening to music indoors, and having a surplus of delicious home-cooked meals is like nothing else in life.

The last time I went to any cottage was when our friend Kent's grandparents still had theirs out east by Tichborne, back in 2008 when I first came to Canada. It was such a great experience and I'd been longing for it ever since, even though Kent's grandparents sold the cottage a year or so later. So I was excited about this trip for months!

I saw a moose crossing sign while we were driving up, and so I was eagerly watching the wild wetlands for the unlikely opportunity of seeing one, but I saw beavers, loons, and pheasants instead. I learned to swim in the cool, gritty waters of Kushog Lake. We walked up the gravel road in the middle of the night with nothing but fireflies and millions of stars around and above us. I laughed until my head hurt, bonded with our friends even more, and felt my eyes tear up when I heard the wail of loons for the first time in five years. The girls and I put on Beauty and the Beast and painted our nails, making up our own lyrics to the songs and rolling over laughing. We were all really sad when we had to leave on Tuesday morning.

All I could see of my husband as we drove up, LOL

All I could see of Kent as we drove up in a full car.

First view of Kushog Lake!

Trev's and my lovely bedroom for six days!

And the view from said room!

Barbecuing for our first dinner at the cottage.

The little area where I learned to swim!

Some of us surrounding Trev and the bbq, getting hungry!

So much cheese and bacon!

Driving into Dorset, about 30-40 minutes from the cottage, for more booze and food supplies.

Our little caravan going to Dorset

Driving into Dorset

A truly glorious six days they were! I can't believe it's already been nearly two weeks since we arrived at the cottage. I hope we get to do it again next year!


1 comment:

Debbie Mitchell said...

Beautiful post and the photos are awesome. Love to you all!!